Monday, January 2, 2012

Movie #001: Spork (2010)

Sunday January 1st: Comedy

       At first glance I thought this was some lost movie from the 80's that just flew under my radar. However, after a few moments and a quick glance at the release date I realized how wrong I was. So cudos to director J.B. Ghuman Jr. for a job well done, Spork looks and feels like an 80's movie (even given the obvious references to modern day topics). That's not where the surprises end though, while the movie feels like your average coming of age movie, all of those thoughts are shot down when the main character Spork (Savannah Stehlin) explains that she is a 14 year old intersex-girl. A plot point that I didn't see coming. Constantly ridiculed, pushed around, and basically treated badly because she is "different" is everything I expected in you're average coming of age story. Even the point where her best friend Tootsie Roll (Sydney Park) injures herself, and Spork has to compete in the school dance, against the blonde girls who hate her, is pretty predictable. Where Spork differs is in the direction, and the soundtrack. The world of Spork must take place on a planet that was ruled by Nintendo, the score is full of 8-Bit sounds and the backgrounds are neon colored, it's such a colorful music filled paradise. My eyes darted around the screen to capture all of the awesome, and at one point the sun is a crayon colored drawing. These aspects more than make up for the predictability of the script. I couldn't stop smiling from beginning  to end. A feel good movie, I'm glad I started with this one.

The Good: Stay till the end of the credits...best. Thing. Ever. Plus, the only way to end this movie.

The Bad: Heavy stereotypes run rampant through this movie.

The WHAT THE HELL?!?!: Her brothers use of the word "coal mining"

What I learned: Twister is more fun than I have ever given it credit for.

Final rating: 7 out of 10

Xavier

No comments:

Post a Comment