Thursday, January 5, 2012

Movie #003: The Time traveler's wife (2009)


Tuesday January 3rd: Romcom or Romance

       Wow. I wanted to ease myself into the Romance day so I opted for the one movie that sounded like a science fiction title. Then I saw the box art and was immediately prepared for the worse. The story revolves around Henry DeTamble (Eric Bana) who, during the opening scene car crash, discovers that he is a time traveler. His 6 year old self is immediately confronted by his older self from the future, and then we're on our way. Henry is now an adult working in a library, where he meets Clare (Rachel McAdams) who knows everything about him. He agrees to have dinner with her and she explains that she has know him since she was a little girl. From here we follow the couple as they get married and prepare to start a family, we also see the story of how they met, and just when you think that you see where the story is going, they throw a curve ball at you. One that's so devastating that I had to pause the movie. I'm not going to spoil it, but when you see it the movie will take a drastic turn, as the film becomes something more than you ever expected. It takes a life of it's own and transcends any misconceived notions that I had going into this movie. It's the little things in the movie that at first glance seem insignificant until one looks deeper. One of Bana's last lines in the film "I can't sing", is delivered almost as if it's a statement of fact, but it spoke louder than some movies in their entirety. Echoing the opening scene with his mom this quote stayed with me long after the credits had stopped rolling. One of the best films so far.

The Good: Very compelling story. Every scene with Bana and his dad.

The Bad: Waaaaay to much man ass.

The WHAT THE HELL?!?!: The time traveling womb baby.

What I learned: Never judge a film by it's box art.
well...try not to.

Final rating: 8 out of 10

Xavier

No comments:

Post a Comment