Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Movie #001: Blue Demon (2004)



Tuesday January 1st: Action


       Damn...here I was hoping to get the ball rolling on this with a fun action adventure movie with sharks. Instead I have blue demon. This movie feels like it was filmed with a budget of $45 dollars...Mexican dollars and not the (estimated) $650,000 USD. While that may sound a bit harsh, it's hard to talk about this film and NOT be angry. Not only is the plot- what's the word I'm looking for? Unbelievable? Ridiculous? Far-fetched? Cockamamie? Yeah, lets go with that one. Not only is the plot cockamamie, but the acting, camera shots, and score follow suit. I'm getting ahead of myself, lets start with the story. Apparently the government is loosing the battle of protecting our borders from terrorist, so they decide to fund project "Blue Demon" headed by scientist Marla (Dedee Pfeiffer), and Nathan (Randall Batinkoff) Collins. The purpose of this project is to train great white sharks to protect our borders from terrorist. Just in case you missed that, they are training GREAT WHITE SHARKS to protect the U.S. borders. How you ask? By having them search for nuclear suitcase bombs...you know, the kind that terrorist dump into the ocean. Oh, they have also engineered them to be able to survive in both salt, and fresh waters. From here on out the movie is a train wreck of contrived plot devices that were used better in other movies. A shark got out of the fenced in area? Check. The obligatory telling the kids at the beach that there is a shark, only to have them disbelieve you? Check. Oh! what about when all is said and done, when we are finally trying to rest, we missed a shark? Check. Woven into this plot is also the fact that the Marla and Nathan are going through a nasty break-up. A break up that the actors, writer, sharks, and extras can't even make me care about. So much time is spent trying to connect all of the dots of this crazy plot together, that I don't care about the main actors. Even Danny Woodburn (who plays their annoying, high-strung boss Lawrence Van Allen) can't save this movie...and I love Danny Woodburn! If all of that wasn't enough, and believe me it is, The score of this film is terrible. Often popping up at the most inopportune times, always with the wrong tempo, and feel, and just...everything. A score should add to a movie, set the mood...this one misses the mark completely. They even do a Jaws "homage", and I use that term in the loosest of ways. The sound effects are bad as well, often times the sharks sound like planes, or cars. The camera angels are, also for lack of a better term, silly. I cant even get into the rest of the plot because it's just so...sad. I always try to find something good to talk about in a movie, but with Deep Blue- wait, sorry...with Blue Demon I've got nothing. I searched far and wide for something, anything to make this movie meaningful, and I got nothing. All in all the film is just Cockamamie. Cockamamie has a nice ring to it, also I never get to use the word. So, I guess that was good. Thanks Blue Demon.

The Good: Woof...Ummmm...I guess this is a good movie to watch with some friends and riff to it. Actually, as bad as it was I had a nice time pointing out the plot holes, and just making fun of it.

The Bad: The script feels like it's struggling to be something it was never meant to be...a movie. 

The WHAT THE HELL?!?!: The look on the extras at the beach. Imagine this..."OH MY GOD! A SHARK JUST ATE THAT LADY!!!"
Aaaaaaaand scene.


What I learned: Movies can always get worse than you expect.

Final rating: 1 out of 10

Xavier

1 comment:

  1. I totally disagree. I thought Blue Demon was hilarious!! It brought back fond memories of Shark Attack 3: Megalodon. The CG isn't as bad as I expected, I have seen MUCH worse on the SyFy channel heh. The sound editing was glorious. The Halloween store boby parts props made me laugh, as well as the blatant Jurassic Park ripoffs. If you expect Jaws or even Deep Blue Sea after reading the plot summary then you are watching the wrong movie. I love shark attack movies and this one was pretty legit, it was lolbad, kept me entertained and was way better than "A Good Day to Die Hard", which was the movie I originally bailed on to watch Blue Demon. It should be called Blue Demons though.

    ReplyDelete